Building a standalone fails under LC6.7.8rc1 and LC6.7.7, but is fine under LC6.7.6

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Mon Oct 19 18:08:25 EDT 2015

I am looking for bug confirmation and troubleshooting help before I
escalate this to LiveCode.

I have a large project. It builds fine under LC6.7.6. I downloaded
LC6.7.8RC1 for testing. The StandAlone build fails under LC678rc1. And,
it fails under LC677, but can be repeatedly built under 676 (or
earlier). Development is on Windows, building for Windows and OSX.

The symptoms of the failure are that I get the following two errors
(same error, once for the OSX build and once for the WIndows build) -
EVEN THOUGH my app does not include its own copies of the answer dialog
in the main stack or any substacks or any external stacks that get
loaded at runtime.

A stack "answer dialog" in file
C:/Users/Paul/Desktop/HR400-LC676/HyperRESEARCH/OSX
x86-32/HyperRESEARCH.app/Contents/MacOS/HR_4.0.0.livecode is already in
memory. The LiveCode UI does not distinguish stacks which have identical
names, so editing these stack files while both are in memory could
result in data loss.

A stack "answer dialog" in file
C:/Users/Paul/Desktop/HR400-LC676/HyperRESEARCH/Windows/HR_4.0.0.livecode is
already in memory. The LiveCode UI does not distinguish stacks which
have identical names, so editing these stack files while both are in
memory could results in data loss.

Then a error occurs which is one of our app's startup errors about
missing components (external stacks loaded on startup) occurs and
LiveCode locks up. It appears that after the errors above, LiveCode is
reloading the my app FROM the standalone folder.

Looking at the build folder on disk, only the HR_4.0.0.livecode stack
file is present. It has not been built into a standalone and none of the
external files, set in the Standalone Settings > Copy Files tab have
been copied into the folders. The lack of any of teh external files,
could explain the 3rd error IF LiveCode is attempting to reload the app
from the build folder vs the folder it was loading into the IDE from.

LiveCode locks up and a forced quit is required.

So, before I escalate to LiveCode, has anyone else had any troubles
building under LC6.7.7 or under LC6.7.8rc1?
If you have build standalones under either of those versions, have then
been for both OSX and Win or just one of those platforms?
If you have built under 667 or 668 for either platform successfully,
does your app use the Copy Files tab to include any other stacks or
files with your app
If you have built under 667 or 668 for either platform successfully,
does your app use any instances of "answer" to have LC include the
answer dialog upon standalone build?

Lastly, does any one know if the Standaone Build process was changed in
any way between LC 6.7.6 and 6.7.7?

Thank you to anyone in advance for any specific information you can provide.