LC 8 Property Inspector

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Oct 14 10:21:05 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-14 15:59, Geoff Canyon wrote:
> I've never found this to be the case. I have never had someone report a
> bug
> to me because some other tool interfered with Navigator, or because
> Navigator tripped up someone else's tool.

I wasn't saying Navigator ever caused a problem, I was more talking
about how to construct an environment which minimises the chance of such
a negative interaction *and* ensures the toolmakers don't have to do
more work than necessary to actually write their tool.

> I think Navigator is useful. I've used it in place of everything except
> the
> script editor and the dictionary for over ten years.

Indeed - it is a nice compact tool - I've played with it over the years
(at least the version which is currently in plugins) particularly when
checking that we haven't broken anything in the engine :)

> Again, unless I'm misunderstanding you, this isn't accurate --
> Navigator
> happily co-exists with every tool I know.

As I said above, I wasn't talking about specific tools, nor any specific
problems at the moment.

I just want to make sure we make tool writing as easy and painless as
possible - my thoughts on doing this are that we build a well
maintained, well documented and simple API which all tools sit on. Any
'hairy details' can sit below the API (just as the engine hides many
hairy details of cross-platform development from script), and anything
sitting on top the API can be assured of the environment which it runs
in.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps