LC 8 Property Inspector

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sun Oct 11 02:06:47 EDT 2015

On 10/10/2015 01:12 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Weirdest: Replace the IDE with the best of community components
> Like the "Weirder" option above, this would be independent of the
> product build, but would open the door for anyone to do whatever they
> want.  Bjornke's BVGDocu could replace the Dictionary, Peter's
> lcStackBrowser could replace the App and Proj browsers, your GLX2 editor
> could replace the Script Editor, etc.
>
> At that point the IDE becomes a very slender thing, just a tool rack on
> which we hang our own tools.  And the tools within it would not only be
> the best of what the community has to offer, but could also be
> interchangeable.

That, I think is what Ali was implying. There is indeed movement in that
direction in the IDE... what with publish and subscribe mechanisms and a
palette abstraction layer... admittedly it's a long ways off yet. The
palettes are hard-coded for now, and there's still a lot in the IDE that
doesn't use the abstraction layer: for instance, the newTool handler
goes directly to the "revTools" stack instead of querying for the
palette, but I do see some light at the end of a long tunnel.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com