App Browser versus Project Browser

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Oct 7 16:43:21 EDT 2015

On 10/7/2015 3:31 PM, Mark Talluto wrote:

>> On Oct 7, 2015, at 12:58 PM, J. Landman Gay
>> <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:
>>
>> That's just what I remember from the few days I tried to work with
>> it. I'm not convinced that the current design can accomodate my
>> work style unless it can at least be revised to show a columnar
>> view rather than a linear one. What I would have preferred is an
>> update for the few glitches in the AB (mainly it doesn't always
>> refresh automatically, and those blinking tooltips are positively
>> aggressive) and give it a new coat of paint if you think it looks
>> too dated. Its plain text layout with clear checkmarks is much
>> easier for me to work with. I do like how you can change layering
>> order by dragging in the PB, that would be a nice addition to the
>> AB.
>
> Have you tried Geoff Canyon’s revNavigator? It is the smallest and
> cleanest solution yet. You get the best of both the AppBrowser and
> the ProjectBrowser in one package. We design some pretty complex apps
> over here. I like the fact that you can focus on a single card at a
> time. Filter brings you down to all the controls of the same kind, or
> the exact control you are looking for. Edit scripts, properties, and
> other useful functionality with keyboard and clicks that you can
> define. Drag and drop controls to reorder their layers. Support a
> dark background or not, which is something I prefer.

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't. I looked at it a couple of times, but
the docs require some memorization and I didn't pursue it. If the docs
could be separated out into a separate window for reference I might have
an easier time learning it. It does look powerful and I've heard only
good reports about it.

If LC 8 really does eliminate the app browser, I'll probably move to
Navigator. The client who owns this big project tried to use PB for a
while and also dropped it quickly. She liked it at first because of the
thumbnails and draggable layering but ran into all the other limitations
soon after and dropped it in favor of the app browser. Her problems with
the PB were pretty much identical to mine.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com