wtf diesel?

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Fri Nov 20 22:10:00 EST 2015

> On 21 Nov 2015, at 10:38 am, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>

> Any word on why the server load has prolonged spikes?
>
> Is there a user on the affected machines trying to run needlessly complicated scripts?
>
> Many years ago there was discussion here about CPU throttling on the on-rev servers, as we'd expect with any shared hosting service so a single account can't dominate the machine and deny use for others (I once heard someone say that they felt it was a reasonable expectation that they should be able to run CPU-maxing analytics programs on a shared host for 7 or 8 hours at a time <g>)>
>
> It may be helpful to know what causes these unusual server loads.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head here Richard. David does an admirable job managing the on-rev servers considering how hammered they are. FWIW I recently moved my domains over to an Ubuntu 14.04 LTS VPS at Linode and have been very happy with what they offer. Quite a bit more hands on than on-rev but definitely worth the setup time. SSD too which is nice ;-)

Cheers

Monte