LiveCode with unusual input devices

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Mon Nov 16 20:03:14 EST 2015

Ben, when you say "unusual input devices" you're speaking my language --
this is a passion of mine.  While not current (I haven't set this up in
years), at one time I had a Sega Activator ring talking to LiveCode -- it
was either Revolution or MetaCard back then -- to play a virtual drum set,
using your body as the controller.  Yes, there was some latency, but the
novelty was pretty compelling, especially for kids.  The software for the
interface box is long gone, but it seems like this might still be possible
today using this:
http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Drive-Genesis-Controller-Adapter/dp/B00QRZ1H
VS/

If you're not familiar with the Sega Activator, it was a plastic octagonal
ring you set up on the floor with infrared emitters that bounced off the
ceiling back to the ring.  You stood in the middle of the ring and by
breaking the beams with your arms and legs, you triggered actions on the
console.  Basically a giant controller, the Activator had two levels of
detection and was intended for fighting games, but never took off for many
reasons. It was still a novel concept, especially at the time.
http://segaretro.org/Activator

I imagine something like the Xbox Kinect would be today's equivalent, with
way better resolution and detection.  There are smaller, more intimate
devices such as Leap Motion controller (not tried, sorry), but one
technology that looks really compelling is Google's Project Soli that
detects fine motor gestures using radio waves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QNiZfSsPc0

If you have a few hundred bucks, you could pick up a Nintendo Power Glove
on eBay and dominate your (LiveCode) universe:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111809848197

I'll stop rambling now since I don't have anything currently
tried-and-tested to offer.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design

On 11/16/15, 3:47 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Ben Rubinstein"
<use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com on behalf of benr_mc at cogapp.com>