Trying to be "clever" with a URL in Linux

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri May 15 00:49:32 EDT 2015

On 15/05/15 05:55, Bob Warren wrote:
>> On 14 May 2015, at 19:07, Richmond<richmondmathewson at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> So, revBrowser is a non-Linux thing . . .
>>
>> So, I tried this in a button:
>>
>> on mouseUp
>>    put URL"http://www.distrowatch.org"  into fld "wab"
>> end mouseUp
>>
>> and got the raw HTML code in my field.
>>
>> Wonder if there is a way to get that to display like a web-page in a
>> field on Linux?
>>
>> Richmond.
>
> If your Linux has Python+WebKit installed (e.g. it is pre-installed in
> Linux Mint), you can use the following solution to display the web
> page in all types of window (easily tailored with/without scrollbars,
> topmost, bottom-most, etc., sized and positioned):
>
> http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/extensions/
>
> I integrated this browser into my WYSIWYG Webpage Editor for Linux
> (written in LC of course) in various ways:
>
> http://www.howsoft.com/linux/webed2/
>
> Naturally, the LC embedded browser will be even more convenient when
> it comes along, but with the solution outlined above my personal need
> of it is no longer urgent at all.

That's certainly a way of coping with things, but not in terms of
sending a standalone out to customers: I cannot
see anyone doing that and writing in a "README" file: must have
Python+WebKit installed.

I think that RG's request that the "revBrowser-like thing" for Linux be
backported to 7.x.x is a wonderful idea.

Richmond.