Status of on-rev restore?

Keith Clarke keith.clarke at me.com
Wed May 13 05:18:01 EDT 2015

Just to update that my on-rev.com account has been recovered and restored from a recent backup. So, following some DNS surgery to manage a change of dedicated IP address that didn’t flow through to all parameters, all the websites that I couldn’t migrate (as I don’t have domain control) are back.

I’m ‘luckier’ than some on-rev users as, despite being a lifetime member, I dropped any reliance on on-rev for email or ‘critical production’ following previous outages. However, I’m glad I don’t need to set-up LC-Server elsewhere for development & experimentation - and the charities whose websites I webmaster on this account gratis appreciate being back online. :-)

Thanks to the runrev personnel who put in the time & effort to sort this - those individuals always pull out all the stops to help. At a more systemic level, I hope Kevin’s proposed investigation identifies and (finally?) establishes the backup & DR that needs to be in place if on-rev is to remain a core business service. These days it should be possible technically & procedurally - and without huge costs - to avoid having a single point of hardware failure (cited as a “raid array”) from creating an outage at all - let alone a couple of weeks.
Best,
Keith..