about Mark...

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Sun May 10 12:10:52 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-10 15:23, Peter M. Brigham wrote:
> In the absence of any communication and actual information, people
> always imagine all kinds of things, and this is especially true of
> anyone seen as a leader. All along Mark has been a presumably
> extraordinarily capable technician heading up a talented team who are
> trying to do their best to develop the product we love, and solving
> problems whose complications we are unaware of -- but without some
> sense of him as a person and a glimpse of what's going on behind the
> curtain in Edinburgh it has been easy to think that he and they are
> ignoring us, or twiddling their thumbs, or something. His presence on
> this list is obviously welcome and much needed, even if it's only
> intermittent.

I think that is perhaps the issue - lack of knowledge causes
speculation, usually without appropriate application of 'Occam's Razor'
(or should that be 'Hanlon's Razor'...).

To be fair if you want to see what my team and I are doing in an
uncensored form then you need only look here:

https://github.com/runrev/livecode/pulse

This shows (at the very least) all the patches we are applying as we
develop. (I tried to find a public way to view the 'runrev' organisation
news feed - but couldn't - if anyone who knows their way around
github.com more than I can share how to see that publically then that
would be great).

My modesty won't allow me to comment as to how much of an
'extraordinarily capable technician' I might be. However, put in
context, I have been working on the LiveCode engine as we inherited it
from MetaCard since 2004. This now accounts for getting on for a third
of my life, so I have certainly gained a rather large amount of
knowledge about it - so I'd hope that I was quite capable, in that
specific regard at least.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps