3 strategic questions I have re iOS development

Mark Wilcox mark at sorcery-ltd.co.uk
Thu May 7 08:39:04 EDT 2015

Hi Bill,

>> 1. Can iOS do audio recording, without Xtras?
Not as far as I know. You don't need mergAV though, Monte also has an
open source external mergMicrophone.

>> 2. Is it possible for LC to link to iTunes songs. Seems I really only
>>    need to determine the directory. I notice there is also a mergeMP
>>    extra, but since I’ll just be playing a selected audio file, I
>>    wonder if it is needed.
On iOS you can't access files belonging to other apps directly.
There are APIs for accessing your media library and hence an
external is needed.

>> 3. What is the simplest way to store a file in the iOS dropbox (or
>>    Google Drive)? Do I need an external for that?
Monte to the rescue again for the simplest way with mergDropbox. They
have a REST API though, so free and external free option here:
http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?t=12549

>> 4. Is it possible (or feasible) to store data in the user’s iCloud
>>    storage?
iCloud drive doesn't have an open web API you could call from LiveCode
(or they couldn't keep it to Apple devices only) so you'd definitely
need an external or extension for this. It is entirely feasible though.

Depending on your timescales and willingness to dig into Apple, Dropbox
and/or Google documentation, you could just start with LiveCode 8 and
try building some extensions. Otherwise I think for most of this you're
still going to need externals.

Mark

Mark Wilcox mark at sorcery-ltd.co.uk