Strategy with Network and File I/O moving forwards

David Bovill david at viral.academy
Wed May 6 04:42:03 EDT 2015

The blocking aspects of some of then http calls - the documentation and
issues around the lack of some REST capbabilities, and then quirks with
working with http and related protocols in the wild make me think that the
strategy of relying simply on socket primitives and getting the mothership
or Livecode community to write robust basic http libraries is not working.

Now that LiveCode is open source, what would the best strategy be with
regard to implementing robust cross-platform http / multiprotocol internet
functionality? My guess is that LiveCode Ltd business strategy would
require a liberal license.

C and C++ CURL libraries seem to be the way to go? This could (depending on
the imlementation) have the advantage of all those curl related examples
for REST API's working out of the box.

   -
   http://stackoverflow.com/questions/822581/what-c-library-should-i-use-to-implement-a-http-client#822591
   - http://sourceforge.net/projects/curlpp/
   - http://curl.haxx.se/
   - https://github.com/bagder/curl

Is it the case that what we as a community are aiming for here is to answer
the sort of question posed above with - wrap this in a community generated
Livecode Builder library, and let the mothership get on with delivering on
the Kickstarter goals?

So is it a good idea to implement a curl based Livecode library in the
present state of Livecode builder?