Summer (Winter) Time Fun

Pyyhtiä Christer christer at mindcrea.com
Tue Mar 31 08:20:46 EDT 2015

I wonder if anyone else has met this funny problem.  And possibly coded out a solution for it.

In my app, the automatically renewing in-app subscription term ended today, at 14:30.  This expiry time was calculated in the app by just adding one month at the previous payment time (because Google, for example, is adding expiry time in their registry one day at a time, not for the period requested).

Now, logging in at 14:31, there was not yet automatical renewal issued, as the time was pushed ahead by one hour.  So the app said, sorry, your subscription license is expired!  Obvously, when taking a coffee break, and retrying at 15:.31, it will work.  Now this is in Europe (Finland), but then there is US, where the summer / winter time switching is off by one week, I don't remember which way.  And the countries, where there isn't this time push/pull fun, the problem is at the point of time of moving into winter time.

I guess the only way is to base everything on UTC, adding / substracting the internet date offset.  it is just getting a bit complex, as the app stores use milliSeconds as their base.

Have fun!  I will have a cup of coffee.