Suggest a USB device.

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Mar 26 17:44:09 EDT 2015

Richmond <richmondmathewson at ...> writes:

> Am I being naive?

Quite, I think.
If the scanner is that old your chances of finding a recent driver are
miniscule. If you *do* find a driver for it, you'll still have to figure
out how to use the driver. USB device manufacturers don't normally publish
communication information, and certainly not at a device driver level.

The USB "standard" gives you guidelines when creating a device, but leaves
a lot to the imagination. And manufacturers have a lot of imagination.

If you actually manage to talk to a USB device, you have no assurance of
being able to leverage that information to other devices, even from that
manufacturer.

If you're attempting to create the holy grail of universal usb functions,
I think you'll soon come to realize why this hasn't yet been done. I have
a nice USB breakout box that I helped Kickstart, and it helps when trying
to follow the communications stream in order to reverse-engineer how to talk
to various USB devices, but it's still a *lot* of work. And without that box
and the python tools that enable it, I wouldn't even try.

--
 Mark Wieder
 ahsoftware at gmail.com