Workaround on the inability to create relative paths in the LC6-7 series Movie Player

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Mar 26 11:20:26 EDT 2015

stgoldberg wrote:

 > 2.  Create the standalone on Windows.  In Windows, LC 7.0 does
 > maintain the relative path, and standalones built on Windows for
 > Mac will keep the relative path and display the Quicktime movies
 > on Mac, even when using the LC 6-7 series.

Are the movies files stored within the Mac app bundle?

Remember that the app bundle is unique to OS X, so the paths from the
standalone executable to whatever folder contains media will often
differ between platforms.

 > Phil Jimmieson wrote (Mar 24 2015):
 >> I think Apple dropped support of quicklime VR movies. You’re supposed
 >> to move to AVKit and AV Foundation.
 >
 > In order to show the movies through LiveCode, though, we’ll have to
 > wait for the LiveCode team to adopt the newer technology.

If you're referring to temporal media (movies, audio), that was part of
the v6.7 transition to the Cocoa APIs.  If you find bugs in v6.7 or
later for playing temporal media files please file a report on those.

For spatial media (QuickTime VR) it appears Apple has abandoned support
for that altogether, and users are now expected to rely on third-party
solutions.  Too bad, IMO, since QTVR was pretty cool in its day.

But given the number and variety of third-party solutions, the somewhat
specialized nature of spatial media, and the goals already on the
Roadmap that the core dev team is committed to completing, it may be
quicker to put together a team of people in the community who need
spatial media support and use LC 8's ability to talk to native APIs to
create a library for that.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems