printPaperRectangle & LC7

Paul Hibbert paul at livecode.org
Sun Mar 22 18:08:40 EDT 2015

> Particularly:
>
> "It’s important to keep in mind that the formatting printer does not
> specify the destination printer—that is, the printer to which the
> document is printed. The destination printer is specified in the
> Print dialog, which by default is the default printer in Print
> Center. The user can change the destination printer in the Print
> dialog, but changing the formatting printer in the Page Setup dialog
> does not change the destination printer.”

I guess that's where Apple and I don't agree, to my mind, setting the printer in Page Setup is a conscious choice and it should update the destination printer and therefore, the printerName, the printSettings in LC, but it does none of this, however it does update the printPaperRect.

So in the case of an app that can display the Page Setup, to ensure the printPaperRect is as you expect, you would need to set the formatting printer in Page Setup, along with the paper size/options and orientation to match the destination printer that you are going to choose in the Print dialogue.

Not doing any of this, as stated here…

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Printing/osxp_flexible/osxp_flexible.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/10000083i-CH1-SW6

> "Some apps also provide users with the option to setup the page through the Page Setup pane as shown in Figure 1-5. Most of the time users shouldn’t need to perform any setup through this panel. So if your app doesn’t need it, make the user experience simpler by not providing a Page Setup command.

…Can cause unexpected results, as you found out. I guess the clue is in "if your app doesn’t need it"!

I really can't see why anybody would want the formatting printer to be different from the destination printer, but that's probably just me.

At least I guess there's no need for a bug report. :)

Paul