printPaperRectangle & LC7

Terence Heaford t.heaford at icloud.com
Sun Mar 22 16:16:47 EDT 2015

> On 22 Mar 2015, at 19:47, Paul Hibbert <paul at livecode.org> wrote:
>
> You are just slowly coming to the same conclusions I did, apart from the fact that this is an Apple bug, not a LC bug, I'm sure if you continue with LC6.7.3 you will see the same problems occur, I just tested it again and saw the same problem, and in LC 5.5.5 too. It also happens in Apple's own Pages app.

I am not convinced there is a bug at all (LC or Apple).

My workflow:

1. Open PageSetup

2. Note in the PageSetup Format For: - On first run this says “Any Printer”

3. I press OK to continue.

4. Continue with Answer Printer etc.

5. Printout is offset I think because printPaperRect picks up a set of default dimensions associated with “Any Printer”

Close down LiveCode and open my project again.

Using the same workflow except for 2.

1. Open PageSetup

2. Select my default printer from the popup menu.

3 & 4. As before

5. Printout is correct I think because printPaperRect has now picked up the dimensions associated with my printer selection.

I have done a little Cocoa programming before and think this is the way Apple intends it to work.

If you want to read more, see this link.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Printing/osxp_aboutprinting/osxp_aboutprt.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/10000083-SW1

> As a point of interest, take a look at Apple's latest Preview app, the Page Setup is combined with the Print dialogue, I hope LC will have the option go the same way soon.

Yes, that would solve the page setup all together. There is an image of the dialogue in the link above.

All the best

Terry