Laughing my socks off again.

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 20 09:27:23 EDT 2015

Terence Heaford wrote:

 > In my opinion LC should remove all these bugs from the database,
 > arbitrarily back to a date(?) and start again.
 >
 > Pick a date, say 1 January 2014 or some other date and delete all
 > bugs earlier than this. Post notices advising everyone of this and
 > away we go again.
 >
 > Simple really.

Agreed: many things in life would be much simpler if there were only one
opinion about them.

But it seems the members of the community have many different opinions
on this.  While you might prefer to ignore older reports and never see
another word about them, others find them interesting enough to hunt
down some of the oldest ones and write repetitive posts about them,
while others are content to leave them in place perhaps to implement
them themselves once we get access to OS APIs in Builder (some of mine
fall into this latter category).

Faced with such a wide range of opinions, LiveCode Ltd. has taken a
middle path hopefully less dismissive of older requests, as I explained
here on the 5th:

     Trimming the bug DB has been a huge effort over 2014 and continues
     to this day.

     Newly-submitted bugs are usually confirmed within a day or two at
     most, sometimes within hours, as Paul Hibbert noted with his report
     this afternoon.

     Older issues have been worked through with two large-scope
     initiatives last year:

     - Nearly 2,000 outstanding bugs and feature requests were
       completed, closed as "Fixed".  Not a small effort.

     - The remaining items were less clear to the team in terms of their
       relevance and/or quality of the submitted recipes, so in October
       Ben took the initiative to send everyone who had outstanding bug
       reports in the DB a list of those reports with a request that we
       please review them in the most recent build of LC, and note
       whether the issue remains or should be closed.
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2015-March/212184.html>

It would be nice if everyone who received Ben's email had jumped on it
immediately to update or close their reports, but I can't blame them if
they're simply busy with other priorities.

In the meantime, if you prefer that older reports be ignored the
solution seems simple enough:  you can ignore them.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems