LC7 & Unicode

Paul Hibbert paul at livecode.org
Mon Mar 16 16:24:36 EDT 2015

> If
> Unicode is what's behind the performance glitches, then that's most
> certainly not the answer I want to hear.  But, life goes on.

This is what I understand the LC engineers are actively working on, so hopefully there should be some performance improvements in the future. I really suspect that there's more to the performance issue than just Unicode, there have been changes to the graphics engine, AV foundation and probably lots of other code resource changes. LC7 was a total re-write over LC6, and even though it shares many of the same new features, I assume it accesses them differently, so I'd expect there to be many areas for improvements and tweaks as long as development continues.

> re: "/this sounds like the type of case that the engineers are asking to
> see/"
>
> Agreed.  That sounds like the next step in the resolution of "my" problem.
> But, none of them responded, so I got the feeling they weren't interested.

They rarely respond to specific issues on the user list, they used to respond more often on the Dev list, but for an engineer to look at this problem you need to report it to the quality control centre [ http://quality.runrev.com ]. Even if it doesn't turn out to be a bug you may benefit from reporting it there.

> ... we're back to square one, meaning I/we have to live with Unicode's
> performance issues.

Does LC6.7.3 not work for you until LC7 performance improves?

> I'm wondering how a feature like Unicode that has had a major performance
> impact managed to get past the initial design stage, but that's a different
> issue altogether.  Surely somebody, somewhere foresaw this "enhancement"
> would be a major resource hog.

I think Bernard hit the nail square on the head…

>> Perhaps being able to sell an app to 1 billion Chinese people might be beneficial to some.

Paul