Livecode Server on Digital Ocean

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 15:04:59 EDT 2015

I just got it running on a droplet.
I chose lamp 14.04 (ubuntu) so that I didn't have to mess with setting up
apache and all by hand.
After droplet creation, I logged into the console with the browser based
vnc and used wget to grab the 64bit version of lc server 7.0.4
then..
apt-get install unzip
so that I could unzip the file

unzip <lc server filename>
to expand the contents.

chmod 755 livecode-community-server
to make it executable

then
mv livecode-community-server /usr/lib/cgi-bin
mv externals /usr/lib/cgi-bin
mv drivers /usr/lib/cgi-bin
to move the files to the correct location (I could hvae unzipped them there)

Then..
a2enmod actions
a2enmod cgi
to enabled the actions and cgi mods

Then the following..
cd /etc/apache2/sites-enabled
nano 000-default.conf

in the editor I added the 2 required lines as follows right before the end
</virtualhost> line
Action lc-script /cgi-bin/livecode-community-server
AddHandler lc-script .lc

I did NOT uncomment the line that says to include the serve-cgi-bin.conf

ctrl-x yes to save, enter to keep the file name (make sure you don't change
it)

then
service apache2 restart

You may get a message on restart about not being able to reliably determine
the servers domain name, depending on how things are currently set up.

After restart, I created a simple file /var/www/html/test.lc
and put in it
<?lc
put random(542545)
?>