Roadmap

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 02:22:24 EDT 2015

On 04/06/15 00:09, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Richmond wrote:
>
>> Where is the Full IDE prototype . . . ?
>>
>> This is odd, as it states that a Full IDE Prototype depends on Widgets
>> and Themes, which just is not true:
>>
>> an alternative IDE can be cobbled together right now - I mucked around
>> with the revToolbar palette extensively way back
>> with version 2.0 - RunRev started up peddling an alternative IDE to
>> MetaCard.
>
> It's true that each of us can imagine our own future IDE, and if we
> imagine one that can be built with the current engine then we could
> decide to spend our time askin why the team doesn't set aside the v7
> fixes we asked them to do yesterday to build this new imagined IDE today.
>
> But you may recall a thread from about three weeks ago in which an
> earnest member of this list asked a similar question and included a
> screen shot of RunRev's mock-up, which prompted yours truly to reply
> with a note that the new UI will require things the engine simply
> doesn't have today:
>
> <http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2015-May/214703.html>

I wonder why a "Viewer" is necessary. Surely all a "Full IDE" is [going
on the basis of the picture that was bandied about during the Kickstarter
thing] is a way in which all the stacks/palettes that constitute the IDE
are "glued together" at their sides so they cover the end-user's desktop
with IDE furniture rather than a backdrop?

Richmond.