New Indy License Pricing

Andrew Kluthe andrew at ctech.me
Tue Jul 21 15:52:42 EDT 2015

Exactly my point, I don't think there is an easy answer here besides what
runrev is wanting to do. They said it themselves, they have to.

 I think the reaction is a result of mistrust/fear and not actual issues
with what's being proposed. Are you going to quiet all alarmists and settle
every single persons anxiety regarding this? No, but it seems like there
has been more fear and anxiety about the motherships' decisions lately than
there ought to be. How do we go about preventing that in the future? More
transparency (they've been trying)? Being very specific and careful (maybe
even engage the community directly) with what gets rolled into commercial
as a paid-only feature?

For instance: I would expect stuff like a customizable datagrid widget
tuned for performance even on mobile (and mobile deployment itself) not to
be a paid only feature. But I could certainly see a pre-configured inbox
style datagrid or a timeline control being a specialized commercial widget
that could be bought and used in the commercial version helping to generate
some money.

I can see paid widgets being the way to handle this Commercial vs Community
Feature parity issue.

I hope its along these lines and not "You can't deploy to Rasp pi, android
or IOS unless you are on commercial license".

Commercial should provide advantages but community should not provide
intentional dis-advantages.