OSX Standalone Question

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jul 10 14:56:07 EDT 2015

On 7/10/2015 1:14 PM, William Prothero wrote:
> Folks: Dumb question, but can’t find an answer anywhere. The OSX
> standalone settings has a box for “Signature” which is filled with
> ???? by default. I assume this is my name that I use as a developer?
> TRUE?

No, this is called the "creator code signature" and is a unique series
of exactly four characters that identifies your app to Apple. It was
required in OS 9 and is still accepted in OS X, but I don't know if it
is entirely necessary any more. To get a creator code signature, you
need to go to Apple's web site and try different combinations until you
find one that has not yet been used. Apple will then enter it into their
database and your app will be the only one that can use it. Generally
the creator code signature is marginally related to the name of your
app. For example, I have registered "Casey's Solitaire" with a creator
code of "cSOL".

If you have not registered a creator signature, the four question marks
are the default and you should leave them there. If you do want to
ensure a unique signature for your app, you can get one here:

<https://developer.apple.com/datatype/creatorcode.php>

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com