Windows 8 Image pixellation

William Prothero prothero at earthednet.org
Tue Jul 7 18:27:28 EDT 2015

Folks:
I have a desktop application that I’ve tested on MacOSX and Windows 7. I don’t have a copy of Windows 8 and before I do, I wonder if you could look at the two images and give me some hints about what might be going on in Windows 9. First, I see huge pixellation in the Windows 8 image. Second, the fonts are way off in the plot at the bottom, not to mention the huge pixellation problem. The map image is a much larger jpg that is reduced to the shown size and then screen captured. The shown map image is the captured image on top of the basic image. I do the screen capture so I can draw symbols into a reduced size image, which is much faster. Both the map image and the lower plot image are screen captures. So, the problem could be either in the original image display and reduction, or in the screen capture action..

The Macintosh (good) image is at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0zvntz7jjsylgxj/Explorer on MacOSX.pdf?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/0zvntz7jjsylgxj/Explorer%20on%20MacOSX.pdf?dl=0>
The Windows 8 version is at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2frv9i0dg7mxtp/Explorer in Windows 8.1.pdf?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2frv9i0dg7mxtp/Explorer%20in%20Windows%208.1.pdf?dl=0>

I expect that I’ve left out some critical factor that applies to Windows 8 computers. This occurs on 2 students using Windows 8. One of the students is in Japan, the other is not. I don’t have any information on the students’ computers yet, and I haven’t got Windows 8 to start debuging, yet. So, just asking for ideas at this stage.

Thanks a bunch,
Bill

William A. Prothero, Ph.D.
University of California, Santa Barbara Dept. of Earth Sciences (Emeritus)
Santa Barbara, CA. 93105
http://es.earthednet.org/
my new project link <http://earthednet.org/ptExplorer/Cover.html>