AW: Where to put on windows an option file accessable for all users

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Tue Jul 7 07:28:12 EDT 2015

Thank you for your input!

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: use-livecode [mailto:use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com] Im Auftrag
von Peter TB Brett
Gesendet: Dienstag, 7. Juli 2015 12:38
An: How to use LiveCode
Betreff: Re: Where to put on windows an option file accessable for all users

On 2015-07-07 11:30, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:
> Thank you for your helpful thoughts.
>
> How would I differentiate the access to these two different option
> sets? On a private computer where the user usually is logged in as an
> admin I would have to offer both option sets. In a school, depending
> on the log-in the appropriate options. But I never have seen a chance
> in LiveCode to ask for the user privileges (on Win and Mac) to be able
> to differentiate it. How is this usually be done?

The easiest way would be to check whether the current user is *able* to
write to the "system" configuration file.  If they can, then show the
administration options.  Otherwise, show a message saying that they need to
re-run the program "as administrator".

Alternatively, you could use "open elevated process".
http://livecode.com/resources/api/#livecode_script/open_process

I'm not actually sure what is the "right" to implement this pattern in
LiveCode, so I would be very interested to hear about your solution...

                                  Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com> LiveCode Engine Development Team

preferences: