menu buttons and showname

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Jul 2 16:17:33 EDT 2015

As far as there being a "correct type of control", that's open to endless
debate. :-)

>From what you describe, there doesn't seem to be a need for a call to
action -- this was suggested simply to address the case that a selection
MUST be made for things to work.  Since this doesn't seem to be relevant
in your situation, I would imagine you'd display a default option as the
control label.

The bigger issue is why you have an empty option at all.  If that's a
setting that a user can implement, the option should read something like
"<no selection>" or "<empty>" or similar.  If the empty value is something
pulled from a table that can't be acted upon, there's no need to include
it in the list of options.

As always, I may be missing something. :-)

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design