menu buttons and showname

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jul 2 13:35:22 EDT 2015

Scott Rossi wrote:

 > Often, this type of control has a call to action such as "Choose an
 > item", as opposed an indication "No selection".  It depends on the
 > context of your control.

It does, and I wish more Web designers understood that. ;)

<rant>
This became popular with form designers where they need to avoid having
a default answer, indicating that some action must be taken for a
control that requires a value.

But over the years I've seen many forms where that lead-in entry is used
instead of a having any descriptive label next to it, and often without
error-checking to ensure some other value was chosen anyway so they've
made it useless in spite of themselves.
</rant>

--
  Richard Gaskin