Advice on free app and user security

Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Mon Jan 19 14:21:31 EST 2015

We also plan to give away apps moving forward. We have/had the same
"hope" :  to know who, how many and how "deep" the users are getting
into the app.

For now we are going with Quad/Yudu to build the first Hinduism Today
mobile app. Their prices and features are very good. In the Application
brief we got for the discovery phase (set up the design and basic
feature set)  one of the check boxes says

__ check if you want users to be able to register. Please note that
Apple's rules state that registration cannot be mandatory

So I suspect somewhere in the fine print... Apple requires that
registration not be mandatory for full functionality.  It makes sense if
you think about it... someone downloads and then can't actually use it
without signing in? That would irritate me...

You might set up a community for your audience in Disqus or a dedicated
twitter account or some other social thingy (I'm way behind there...)
and if your app gets traction, perhaps you will see this in the
community growth?

Years ago we had an HT Digital App on the desktop that required
registration. Andre built this... it was pretty cool. It worked pretty
well as a UI to simpy fetch issues as PDF's to the desktop, keep a list
of back issues etc. we downloaded coverslll The registration requirement
met with a lot of resistance. Especially if because we had users confirm
by email etc. lots of issues there failures to confirm because of spam
etc... But we had other ways to determine "depth"

We tracked downloads of the current issue from the app itself (very easy
to do, by setting up a unique agent type for the GET requests, then all
you have to do is parse your ACCESS logs on the server on a cron and
push those numbers to your database or some text file you can read
periodically)  So, while we had 12,000 registered users

< ASIDE: (not bad for a early 2000 App --  which proved IMHO that the
resistance to "download desktop internet enable app"  was not as high as
some thought in those days --Richard's line! />

But the actual downloads of the quarterly issue of the magazine were
only about 500. So, I know we had 500 or so really dedicated users. We
could also track downloads of back issues. We had people in India who
would download 20-30 giant PDF via our app. Andre did a really good job
with that part... our app would maintain connectivity and make sure they
got their issue and try again... could keep a standing connection
running for hours and hours....

I think looking back, had I removed the registration requirement, we
might have got even more users... as, in the end it was the downloads of
the issue that proved to be the key metric, not installations or
registrations. I install and even register for lots of software myself,
that i never use.

So: think different -- set up some key component that must be used by a
"dedicated fan" and track that... and perhaps you will come close to
your goal: "

  I feel that, at least, I’m owed the satisfaction of knowing that educators and students use my work.

Swasti Astu, Be Well!
Brahmanathaswami

Kauai's Hindu Monastery
www.HimalayanAcademy.com