Moving to the Cloud. LiveCodeServer on Linux CentoOS vs Ubuntu 11

Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Thu Feb 26 01:55:54 EST 2015

Thanks, Richard/Simon:

Thanks for the encouragement... knowing that it should go well helps
with the job (these migrations are tedious)

1) It's Digital Ocean we're moving to... two other sites run by the
business team (minimela.com and hhe-online.org) are already over on
Digital Ocean and they are extremely happy with it. Lighting fast (but
the sites are very light weight)

2) Ubuntu "11"   I don't know what I'm talking about (hehe)... If Simon
says they are up to 14.* then that's what it will be. I've got all
tweaks to httpd conf very well documented so setting up the new web
service I hope will go smoothly. It's easy with VirtualMin/WebMin -- the
"dream machine" of web server control panels IMHO  (having used Plesk,
Ensim, Cpanel... all of which drove me nuts)

3) Just installed keys on the current server yesterday.. really "cool" !

4) I'll test with the latest LC server 7... What does it offer on the
server that is significant over 6.* ? Unicode is becoming increasing
important... but I think all that is in 6.7...

4) Papaya fresh yogurt, breakfast with Expresso with fresh Jersey cream
and free fabulous vegetarian lunch awaits you here on Kauai if you want
to come over and help me with the migration. I might even be able to get
you free lodging within 5 minutes of our place. (Do you need a break?)

This will be my 8th server migration in 20 years since we first moved
onto a machine in Honolulu in 1995 and it looks like it will be the
easiest. (VirtualMin makes it easy)

Our target to complete migration by May 19... so we are giving our
selves plenty of time.  I'll be spinning up 16GB ram 8 Core 320GB (or
more) SSD instance at Digital Ocean any day now, happy to get off this
dedicated server at GoGrid. Last year it had a file system error and I
was sweating for 15 hours (longest outage in 20 years)  as tech kept
running fsck until finally in the middle of the night it finished and we
got a prompt! I never want to go thru that again.

Cheers from perfect weather Kauai

Actually we are going thru an very uncharacteristic drought by we don't
miss all the mold and mud of the usual Kauai winter.

BR