Garbage Collection

Fraser Gordon fraser.gordon at livecode.com
Sun Feb 22 07:00:12 EST 2015

On 22/02/2015 11:48, Terence Heaford wrote:
> How does this impact LiveCode?
>
> http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/15/02/20/apple-says-mac-app-makers-must-transition-to-arc-memory-management-by-may <http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/15/02/20/apple-says-mac-app-makers-must-transition-to-arc-memory-management-by-may>

Garbage Collection and ARC are features of the Apple Objective-C
compilers used to make a number of memory management operations simpler
for software developers. LiveCode does its own memory management and
uses neither of these technologies.

>From my reading of the announcement, it appears that support for the
Garbage Collection technology is being removed rather than ARC being
mandatory.

So, to answer your question, it doesn't look like it should impact
LiveCode at all. The one place it may have an effect is if a third-party
extension uses these technologies.

Regards,
Fraser