Death of the Application Browser

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 01:01:55 EST 2015

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 6:48 PM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>
wrote:

> Groups are always expanded in the AB and substacks are always in the stack
> list, so you're never more than 3 clicks away from anything. (You can
> collapse the substacks, but I don't.) That's the advantage of a column
> layout.

I'm only asking this because I want to learn (in case this comes off as
argumentative) -- I'm not seeing this. It's my first time in forever with
the AB. I see a list of stacks/cards on the left. So there could be
substantial scrolling to get to the stack/card you're looking for, right?

Then the list on the right is a straightforward list of everything on the
card: groups and controls. This is the same as Navigator, but much bulkier
and without the ability to have multiple copies open at once. Is it even
filterable/searchable?

> You're right that two Navigators would eliminate the back and forth,
> though at the expense of screen space and a lot of manual manipulation.
> Imagine 25 Navigators, and the need to manually add a new one for each
> additional stack you open (and remove the old ones you don't need any
> more.) There are hundreds of stacks in this particular system, though I
> rarely open more than a couple dozen at a time. But those swap in and out
> of memory as I open and close various parts of the collection. An
> auto-updating text list is easier to work with.

Screen space: Navigator collapses down to just its titlebar (and moves up
out of the way)with a double-click, and all can be collapsed at once (while
avoiding overlapping).

Each Navigator can be re-targeted, so the only reason to close one is if
you don't need that many open anymore. Navigator auto-updates if you choose.

And finally, bookmarks and saved sets are definitely your friend here.
Although saved sets don't play well with the new ability to have multiple
Navigators open at once :-/ I'm going to have to look at that.

gc