[Bug] Red Dot Breakpoints Ignored - Recipe

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 06:53:52 EDT 2015

In line with a recent post I made mention of the fact that I don't use Red
Dot breakpoints as they are ignored too often. I know others have had
similar complaints. But in the interest of seeing if improvements have been
made I just had a go in LC 7.1 rc 1 on OS X 10.9.5 and made the following
discovery.

New Mainstack with Script Debug Mode On.
Add a button
Add this script to the mouseUp handler of the button.

repeat with x = 1 to 10
    add 1 to x
end repeat
beep

Apply and click the button and confirm it beeps.

Now add a Red Dot breakpoint at the line: add 1 to x
Add the following Breakpoint condition: x > 4
Click the button and confirm the Debugger stops with x shown as 5

Now amend the condition to: x = 4
Click the button and on my machine the Red Dot is ignored.

Now amend the condition to: the quick brown fox
Click the button and on my machine the Red Dot is ignored.

>From what I can tell there is no validation of what you type into the
conditional box and if it happens to be invalid, then the Red Dot is
ignored. Very easy if you happen to have a long and complex condition and
just happen to be missing a ) or a ".

The fact that valid = conditions are also ignored is clearly a bug.

I expected to find a Bug Report at the QCC but nothing stuck out. I know
that this has been a long standing issue so can:

a) you confirm that you see this too
b) suggest an appropriate bug number to add my findings.