screen readers

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 06:07:14 EDT 2015

One of the 'snags' with most screen readers is that they are NOT really
screen readers at all,
they are programs that read the content inwith windows of programs with
which they are compatible.

Until (?????) someone develops a LiveCode-specific screen reader, what
would be required is a
reader that is, indeed a screen reader insofar as it would read either
the whole screen or the top-level window
on that screen regardless of what program it belonged to.

This is pretty interesting: http://webaim.org/techniques/screenreader/

as is this:
http://usabilitygeek.com/10-free-screen-reader-blind-visually-impaired-users/

However, I should point out that Orca, while being installable on my
Xubuntu 64-bit machine doesn't start up.

Most screen readers seem devoted to internet browsers only.

Richmond.