[OT] Copyrighting games?

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Fri Aug 21 05:47:23 EDT 2015

Hi John,

That "article" just makes a statement without any explanations. Terms
like "actual expression or execution", "software concept" and "program
logic" are rather vague. You can't copyright those, simple because you
can't define them.

A user interface, however, can be copyrighted if it is a creative
expression by an artist. Probably, you can't copyright a GUI if you're
just using Apple's or Microsoft's GUI components, but you can definitely
copyright the visual components of a game and the logo's and icons in a
utility window.

That leaves algorithms and other trade secrets. For algorithms and other
technologies, you can register a patent, but I believe Richmond didn't
want to go that path.

I strikes me that I have never seen any of those copyright registration
websites giving examples of their services being successfully accepted
as proof in court.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille