[OT] Copyrighting games?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 12:49:40 EDT 2015

On 19/08/15 19:39, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> On 2015-08-19 18:25, Richmond wrote:
>> I have recently invented a tiling game that can be produced as a
>> physical game and as a computer game.
>> This involved a lot of thought and a lot of work, and as a result I
>> would like to try and make some money
>> out of it rather than just "give it to the world".
>>
>> However, never having copyrighted anything except a book in 1985, I
>> don't know how to go about this.
>>
>> My main concern would be, initially at least, within the European
>> Community.
>>
>> I would be grateful for any advice anyone can give me.
>
> Since quite a long time ago now, every creative work automatically has
> copyright protection from the moment of creation -- and, by treaty,
> this protection extends worldwide.
>
> There is no need to register your copyright any more in order to
> receive protection (although it may assist in enforcement).
>
> On the other hand, whether you have copyright on something and whether
> you can make money out of it are usually uncorrelated.

Ha, Ha, Ha . . . of course.

However, before I roll along to the local plastic moulding factory I
want to try to ensure that the owner of the factory doesn't
merrily steal my product or start selling copies out the back door.

I am tempted to register here: https://www.workscopyright.com/ as it is
quick and inexpensive.

Money is as money does, and I am notoriously bad with money. But I am
aware that if I want to *try* and sell my product rather
than just give it away (at which point somebody else can make money from
my bright idea) I need a bit of what Gene Wilder was talking about
in the first version of /Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/.

Richmond.