Business Application Framework

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Aug 13 07:09:05 EDT 2015

> True but it’s not like there aren’t other funky file formats in
> GitHub… storyboard, xib etc.. nasty stuff. Keep the UI as code light
> as possible and the code in nicely named scriptified stacks and it’s
> reasonable as far as I can tell. You could even put in some commit
> hooks to enforce a rule on the script length of objects script to
> force code into these libraries...

That's very true. Indeed, perhaps one could argue that GitHub needs
service-hooks which allow customization of merging and diff display.
That general feature there would solve the VCS problem in a natural way
for a number of types of data which are needed in modern software
projects.

I suspect it will come in time as, to be fair, the integration abilities
have increased a fair bit since we started using it in 2013; and we've
used them quite extensively in our Vulcan (CI / Build System)
integration so that information about PRs appear directly on the
relevant PRs (and shout at you when you've made a mistake!).

> Is that ever going to happen though? There’s too much intermingled
> data, script and UI in LC to do that I think.

I was chatting to Peter about that this morning - he is less optimistic
about there being 'natural general solution' than I. He is probably,
lamentably, right.

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps