Jane Austen's peculiarity

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 12:55:07 EDT 2015

On 09/08/15 16:52, Richmond wrote:
> On 09/08/15 16:47, Peter M. Brigham wrote:
>> On Aug 9, 2015, at 8:46 AM, Richmond wrote:
>>
>>> BUT what does fuss me is why this produces NO results when it
>>> analyses a text imported from an RTF file, BUT does work when the text
>>> is either manually edited or imported from a text file.
>> Maybe if you do this?
>>
>>     set the RTFtext of the templatefield to RTFtextFromFile
>>     put the text of the templatefield into fileText
>>     reset the templatefield
>>
>> and then operate on the variable fileText. That is, use the engine to
>> convert the RTFtext to plain text.
>>
>> -- Peter
>>

>  Hmm, that's a thought.
>
> However, I'm doing just fine with HTML text instead :)
>
> Now, if you happen to know of a list of English intransitive verbs . .
> . .
>
> Richmond "Nuttier than a fruitcake" Mathewson.

Well . . . the stack works, but as I have not loaded the whole text to
be analysed into a variable, but am doing it line by line, the whole thing
is taking far, far too long . . .

After 3 hours the stack has just passed line 56,362 of the Gutenberg
Library's Complete Jane Austen ( and that is only looking for was / were
plus 3 verb forms ) . . . much too slow.

I wonder why I have always had to learn things the hard way?

Certainly, if I am going to analyse the million words of the Freiburg
English Dialect Corpus,
I am going to have to get things moving along somewhat.

Wikipedia lists 5048 intransitive verbs; IFF I can get them into a
listField (!!!!!!!), things will get very slow indeed if the list is not
loaded into a variable.

My production machine has 6 GB RAM, so, with any luck, with both the
corpus and the verb list in variables (i.e. directly in RAM),
I won't have to go away and plant potatoes for a week while it does the
crunching.

Richmond.