Android Intents/iOS Extensions?

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Thu Apr 23 23:52:54 EDT 2015

On 24 Apr 2015, at 1:41 pm, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> Right.  I had mistakenly thought that was the mechanism for intents.
>
> If not for inter-app communications, what's the point of urkWakeUp?
>
> Who uses that, and what for?

On iOS the Dropbox app uses it for authentication for third party apps. I'm sure there's lots of ways you could use it like launching an app from a link in a browser. From memory iOS falls back to http if the protocol is unable to be handled so you can imagine how you might use that to suggest someone installs your app etc.

I may have been wrong about getting the uri. The uri in urlWakeUp on android pronbably is the uri for the file being shared but I think in most cases you would need to use a content resolver to get the actual data of the file unless the app sharing the file put it in a public directory. But that still doesn't account for setting the activity result and finishing the activity so the user returns to the original app. If it's not waiting for a result you could try just calling quit though...

--
M E R Goulding
Software development services

mergExt - There's an external for that!