Large Scripts Run too Slowly

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 20 12:07:32 EDT 2015

Ray wrote:

 > On 4/20/2015 4:40 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> But if the change was recent, given how long it takes to write 15
 >> KLOC it may also be worth looking into what the more recent code
 >> is doing.
 >>
 >> To spot redundant calls and other bottlenecks, this free tool has
 >> saved my bacon many times:
 >> <http://fourthworld.net/revnet/devolution/4W_FlightRecorder.rev.gz>
 >
 > Yeah I looked through recent installs and didn't find much.  I
 > uninstalled a couple of Java updates but it didn't help.

Java is unrelated to LiveCode except during the building of executables
for Android.

Is it just the IDE that seems slow, or execution of your code?

 > By the way, how are you compressing the .gz file, below?  I'm unable
 > to get to decompress it using Livecode's compress/decompress commands.

I'm using LC's compress function, which uses gzip.  Maybe you read the
file as text rather than binary before passing it to the decompress
function?

Mac and Linux include utilities to decompress them for you, and many are
available for free for Windows as well.

You can also use decompress inline to run the stack - this works here:

go stack ( decompress(url
"http://fourthworld.net/revnet/devolution/4W_FlightRecorder.rev.gz") )

I made a drag-and-drop plugin for LC's gzip:
<http://fourthworld.net/revnet/devolution/4W_gzipper.mc.gz>

But of course its gzipped itself so you'll have to use LC's decompress
function or a third-party tool to extract it.  If you have any
decompressing just let me know and I'll post a decompressed version for you.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems