File Walker

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Sep 29 19:10:01 EDT 2014

"recursive is limited to 400,000" ? Is that 400,000 files, or folders, or ??

The File Walker link (i.e.
http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/livecode/tips/file007.htm ) should
work - it would be very interesting to find out why it doesn't (maybe
URL encoding of the file names??)

However, it too is recursive. Here's a non-recursive version of it,
which is somewhat faster in some cases: (be careful testing this - you
need to run it repeatedly to avoid file-system caching effects).

on dirWalk whatFolder
    local temp, tCount, tDirList, tDirsToDo
    set the itemDel to "/"
    set the directory to whatFolder
    put whatfolder &CR into tDirsToDo
    repeat forever
       put line 1 of tDirsToDo into whatFolder
       set the directory to whatFolder
       delete line 1 of tDirsToDo
       put the files into temp
       add the number of lines of temp to tCount
       sort temp
       repeat for each line x in temp
          put whatFolder & "/" & x & cr after gHierList
       end repeat
       put the folders into tDirList
       sort tDirList
       delete line 1 of tDirList
       repeat for each line x in tDirList
          put whatFolder & "/" & x & CR after tDirsToDo
       end repeat
       if the number of lines in tDirsToDo = 0 then exit repeat
    end repeat
end dirWalk

-- Alex.