LiveCode Commercial License

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Sep 18 15:29:10 EDT 2014

On 9/18/2014, 11:48 AM, Mark Schonewille wrote:
> You're saying that RunRev doesn't care about 95% of the market. I find
> that hard to believe, but if it is true, why isn't there a free license
> for iOS? Just make it closed-source but free instead of $99, if it can't
> be open-source.

I'm trying to figure out how RR would stay in business at all if all
their licenses were free. If it's true that only 5% of the user base
actually pays for the product, how else should RR get funding?

The subscription model they decided on seems fair and actually pretty
generous to me. A user can decide when to pay, and that payment is good
for a year. You could easily go longer than that without a purchase and
only pay once when you are ready to ship. If you have many small
projects over a short amount of time, then $99/year is pretty cheap.

I do agree though that this model limits the user who wants to pay only
once and then continue to use an outdated product forever. That method
is okay for hobbyists but I think most professionals need to keep up
with the latest features and changes in the OS, and they save money by
updating every year at a low cost.

Even your own work is behind a paywall, so I'm sure you must see the
value in paying for the software you use.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com