HTML representation of 'less than or equal to' - not cross-platform?

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Fri Oct 31 13:01:36 EDT 2014

Thanks Mark for the reply.

No, ‘lt' is less than and ‘gt' is greater than: these symbols are readily available on both the Mac and PC character sets, so if the objective is simply to display the correct glyph, it doesn’t matter if one shows them as html or just a simple character. My issue is with 'less than or equal' (and in principle ‘greater than or equal’). These are represented on the regular Mac keyboard as option-comma and option-period, but these codes are not the same on the PC. Hence my need to use html, since these characters are part of the standard html repertoire.

A possible (but not very probably IMHO) cause of the problem is that ‘le’ and ‘ge’ are not in the LC dictionary as recognised subset-html characters dealt with by LC: but in fact they do work, just not when switched from Mac to PC. Odd.

Graham