Two features I don't understand

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Oct 30 23:55:03 EDT 2014

Michael Doub wrote:

 > I use the styled arrays quite often when creating content, applying
 > styles and taking advantage of the metadata.

Thanks.  I still don't understand how I might use it, but I'm glad
someone's using it.

RunRev don't generally spend time on a feature unless there's either a
lot of people asking for it or it's something they need themselves.

Since AFAIK no one's ever asked for this it seems an internal need, but
the examples in the Dictionary are a bit weak, simply using it to copy
formatted content but nothing more interesting than that.

If RunRev needed this themselves, they've done a good job of concealing
why. :)  Copying styled text works great with htmlText.

 > Rather than including char offsets for runs in the array itself,
 > I think it might be more useful to have an easy way to get from
 > a char offset to the pgh_number/run_number within the styled array.
 > Another thing to look at in 7.0.

Yes, when I first heard about StyledText I had imagined it would have
elements like that, which would make it much more interesting (or at
least understandable) for me.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems