Naive Unicode question # 107

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue Oct 28 13:56:02 EDT 2014

On Oct 28, 2014, at 10:59 AM, Graham Samuel <livfoss at mac.com> wrote:

> If I had a very large keyboard capable of typing a wide range of Unicode characters (characters not on the keyboard of my normal computer), could I type them directly into an LC script? Would I need to be running LC7? How would the display of the script look - on a Mac, on a PC? I know a few people are working with Japanese, Sanskrit etc, so maybe someone has the direct experience to answer this. LC7 isn't really working for me at present so it would be nice to know before I start modifying my scripts to get serious about Unicode.

Graham,

LC 7 is “unicode anywhere”. That means you can type unicode in the script editor, the message box, property inspector fields, etc., and LiveCode knows what to do with it.

So in a script you can use:

  put “привет” into fld “foo” # Cyrillic inside quotes

and it just works.

You can even use Unicode in variable names and object names, and it just works.

Magic.

Regards,

Devin

Devin Asay