64-bit App Store requirement

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Oct 28 10:34:45 EDT 2014

Peter M. Brigham wrote:

 > The idea that the same UI will work well on a little 5" phone screen
 > and a 42" monitor is crazy.

Agreed, which is why I don't think anyone would do that.

You can currently run Android apps in Chrome, and there's a side project
to allow that in Ubuntu.

Like Apple's Desk Accessories of yesteryear or more recently the Widgets
implementation "inspired" by Konfabulator, not all UIs need to be run
full-screen.   Small apps can stay small.

And like the apps we have today, not all apps are relevant on all
devices.  Some apps require specific hardware found only in certain
device models, and we can expect that to remain a consideration when
deploying to a more unified OS as well.

Thinks like Evernote seem like a good fit for device adaptability.

When we consider the range of screen sizes we need to consider on mobile
alone, ranging from 4" to 13" or more, we're not that far away from this
future vision even now.

The only significant difference between a tablet with a docking keyboard
and a Macbook Air with a detachable touch screen is that the latter
offers much more horsepower.

 > If Apple does this I will seriously consider moving to Linux.

Ubuntu's already headed down that road.  They committed to that path
before their Unity UI premiered.  In fact, that's what Unity is all
about: one scalable, adaptable set of UI conventions across all device
types.

The KDE project has been exploring this too:
https://community.kde.org/KDE_Mobile

Of course you'll still have control over the apps you choose to install.
  If the small size of the Calculator app offends, don't run it. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems