7.0 corrupted two stacks!

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Fri Oct 24 22:10:50 EDT 2014

I just downloaded and installed the "stable" version of 7.0, didn't give it much thought. I only opened two stacks, noticed that a simple script in one stack wasn't working right.

On mouseup
sort numeric by field "foo"
answer "all done"
end mouseup

I didn't get an error message, but the sort didn't happen.

I wondered if some syntax had changed in 7.0. I peeked at this list, got scared, tried to quit without saving. I trashed 7.0. I failed to save myself.

The two stacks I opened come up corrupted in LiveCode Community 6.6.5. One is a small stack that doesn't change from month to month, so it is backed up, and I can easily share both the good version and the corrupted version. The other is quite large and complex and contains HIPAA protected information, so I can't share that one. These are stacks that I have used every day for years, through the various versions of RR and LiveCode, with nary an error.

The corrupted stack is "patient info.rev"

From the message box, I tried

go to card X of stack "patient info.rev" where X is an arbitrary integer within the range of the number of cards in the stack.

With the corrupted stack I get "file is not a stack"

Damn my eyes! I normally back up the folder containing all these stacks -- they are all linked to each other, about once per week. I am sorry to report that I have neglected to back up these stacks for about a month.

The big stack containing the HIPAA information -- loss of that one month of data will cost me a few thousand dollars in lost revenue, or many hours of wasted time, recreating the data, or both, unless there is some way to repair the stack. I am in pain. I hope someone has some good ideas about repair possibilities.

The small stack I can share, does someone want to take a look at it? I'm not quite sure how to share it, so please tell me how to do that.

Tim Miller