RELEASE LiveCode 6.7

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Oct 24 07:53:32 EDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 7:21 AM, Terence Heaford <t.heaford at btinternet.com>
wrote:

> A better idea would have been to come up with a solution before release.

Terry,

A solution to the multi-threaded rendering crashes or just a speed
improvement in general? I think the right decision was made regardless and
here is why.

The problem with using multiple threads to render stacks is that there are
a number of areas of the engine that are not thread-safe. It would appear
that the team looked at the numerous crashes caused by adding this feature
(even after trying to fix many of them) and decided it was better to leave
the engine more stable. As application developers we all know that not
every idea to improve something works. Sometimes you have to shelve
something for later or scrap it altogether. Performance from 6.6 to 6.7
didn't decrease by leaving out the attempt at improving rendering speed.
One idea to possibly speed things up didn't pan out, at least not for now.

I'm not arguing that I wouldn't like faster rendering of my stacks. At the
same time, I understand that the problem the engineers are trying to solve
isn't a simple one and has (and will) take a lot of time. My understanding
is that they are continuing to look at ways to improve rendering speed. It
is an iterative process and 6.7 gm-1 won't be the last release of LiveCode.

Now, it is okay if we disagree on this point. I just offer up the above to
provide some context for other readers.

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps