Detecting the active monitor under Mavericks and Yosemite...

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Wed Nov 26 18:40:35 EST 2014

On 11/26/2014 6:11 PM, Pi Digital wrote:
> Paul
>
> It's the difference between the screenRect and the 'working screenRect'. The dictionary describes these well under screenRect.
>
> Sean Cole
> Pi Digital
I assume you are referring to checking the differences in the rects
returned by 'the screenrects' vs 'the working screenrects' to determine
which is reduced by the size of the menubar, but under Maverick and
Yosemite, the menubar appears on EVERY monitor, it is just (potentially)
dimmed on the monitor that does not contain the active window of the
application and undimmed on the monitor with the active window, so there
should be no difference in the working screenRects as each would be
reduced by the height of a menubar. Good idea though, even if it won't
work to detect the App's active monitor.

For those interested who have not tried dual monitors under 10.9+ you
can actually have both menubars active for different application. If App
#1 is on Monitor A and has an active window, it menubar will show on
Monitor A and if App #2 is on Monitor B with an active window, monitor B
will have App #2's menubar active.

And I haven't figured out how yet, but apparently you can assign app to
have default monitors, so that an app will always come up on the monitor
that it has been assigned to.

-- Paul