(OT) Yosemite and the immediate future ....

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Wed Nov 26 10:53:54 EST 2014

> <snip>
> I don’t like being pushed or shoved. I don’t care if Apple want
> to merge OSX and iOS. I want my OS X !!!!!!!!

I don’t think it’s going to go that far. Apple may be many things these days but they aren’t stupid. What they *are* doing is adopting some of the sandboxing technology that was built into the i-devices because it solves a myriad of vectors for malware.

Microsoft is feeling the pain of the misguided notion that all the world will be tablet based at this very moment. As I expressed when everyone was panicking over this, tablets cannot completely replace desktops/laptops for several reasons. First, is expandability. Many people like and want the option to add on if they need to. Next is real estate. I don’t mean land acquisition. I mean screen real estate. Ever try reading email or browsing on an iPhone? Care to try to develop in Livecode on an iPad? I tried once via a remote desktop session and it sucked. Thirdly is performance. Until they can get a tablet to perform like a Macbook Pro with maxed out memory, I’m not buying. At least not as my default device. And finally is the much vaunted Touch Interface. Are people really going to be reaching across their desk and touch/swiping a screen many hundreds of times a day? What are we all Hercules?? Try just doing that 50 times and see how your arm feels.

Once you create a tablet that can do all these things, and give it the memory and storage and processor speed to handle it all, with a comfortable keyboard, what are you left with? A MACBOOK PRO!!!!! And since companies are not going to want to spend the money for Macbook Pro’s for everyone, they want economical devices they can plop onto a desk with a keyboard mouse and decent sized monitor for under $800.

Tablets are not taking over the world, and Yosemite is not iOS. Fear not little one the world is still safe. ;-)

Bob S