hide / show oddities ?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Nov 26 06:46:25 EST 2014

This feels so unlikely that I wonder if I'm simply doing something wrong
- but thought I'd ask first.

I had a script which is supposed to (amongst other things) hide one
particular group. Although it usually worked OK, in some cases,
sometimes, the group would remain visible when it is not supposed to.
Trying to find this in the IDE/debugger wasn't getting anywhere, so I
reverted to using "put"s (but still in the IDE). I finished up after a
few iterations with some code that said

hide grp "abcde"
put "here now" && the vis of grp "abcde" &CR after msg

and it output
      here now true

So I changed the code to
set the vis of grp "abcde" to false
put "here now" && the vis of grp "abcde" &CR after msg
and what do you know - not only does it output "here now false", but the
group *always* becomes invisible.

Does "hide" do anything different from simply setting the visibility to
false?
Is it remotely possible this isn't me misunderstanding something ?

And then - in a completely different bit of the same app, in a different
group, I have some code (in the group script) that was doing
show me
to ensure that the group was visible (inside a timed / delay loop). This
would occasionally result in some graphics showing up wrongly (in the
wrong colour) very briefly. Simply changing the code to
set the visible of me to true
again seems to fix this.

To be honest, if someone else described these symptoms to me, I'd be
looking for what else was going on that they had forgotten about :-)
But I've already done that - now I'm hoping someone can offer an idea of
whether this is feasible.
Has anyone else seen anything like this ?
Should I be pursuing an attempt to make this happen in a smaller sample
so I can submit a useful bug report ?

(oh - glad you asked - Mac OSX 10.8.5, LC 6.6.2)

Thanks
-- Alex.