Double-Value Unicode?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun May 18 04:34:58 EDT 2014

Valid ranges:
1st surrogate:  0xD800-0xDBFF
2nd surrogate: 0xDC00-0xDFFF
codes represented by surrogates:  0x00010000-0x0010FFFF

See comments interspersed…

On May 17, 2014, at 8:06 PM, Alejandro Tejada <capellan2000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Richmond,
>
> I visited this webpage:
> http://www.russellcottrell.com/greek/utilities/SurrogatePairCalculator.htm
> and tested the webpage results against your stack.
>
> Why your stack shows this result?
>
> Enter Pair Numbers here
> 55241 + 56228 = 9124
0xD7C9, 0xDB84 = 0x9124
That is indeed incorrect.  We can see that without doing any calculations since the result must be above 0xFFFF and the second parameter must be between 0xDC00 and 0xDFFF.

So in this case, there is an out-of-range value for the second surrogate.

> Enter Unicode address here
> 10012 = 55241 + 56228
0x271C = 0xD7C9, 0xDBA4
And here we see the single code and the second surrogate out of range.

So, in this case, there is an out of range value for the code.